Skills make up the basis of the game, and should be used based on a role-play basis rather than to maximize character effectiveness. All skills fall under the category of at least one main attribute, and derive their bonuses from that as well. Magic and Combat are two examples of specialized skill checks that have been fleshed out as full mechanics of the game, though they are essentially skills themselves.
Each of the five attributes has six skills descended from it. Detailed descriptions of each of the individual skills is listed below.
Skill checks are the resulting sum of the relevant skill value and 1d10.
- Fighting is a combat skill used to deal melee damage.
- Reaction is a skill used to act quickly in dnagerous situations. It is also used in ground and ship combat.
- Athletics is a skill used to perform agile maneuvers.
- Construction is a skill used to build objects, including kits, turrets, buildings, and local defenses.
- Sneaking is a skill that measures an individual's ability to maintain stealth under pressure.
- Healing is a skill that allows a more efficient used of medkits and other natural healing abilities.
- Knowledge is a skill used to access known facts and recall information about a given topic.
- Perceiving is a skill used to analyze immediate surroundings and make quick physical observations.
- Navigating is a skill used to pilot spacecraft and groundcraft, and to plot efficient paths on land.
- Calculating is a skill used to calculate sums, ratios, odds, times, distances, or other similar calculations.
- Engineering is a skill used to understand specifically mechanical technology, assembly, and disassembly.
- Studying is a skill used to analyze a situation, text, or person when no prior knowledge can be recalled.
- Firearms is a combat skill used to focus aim and deal ranged damage.
- Willpower is a skill used to react to magical effects and to maintain composure when focusing.
- Piety is a measure of trueness to self, or the ability to have and maintain convictions. Affects fame.
- Faith is a measure of closeness to spiritual realization, and is used to commune with the gods and receive their favor.
- Focusing is a skill used in any scenario where intense effort or attention is necessary.
- Intuition is a skill used to take immediate stock of a situation and make a judgment call on its odds of success.
- Conversing is a skill used to effectively communicate either verbally or non-verbally.
- Persuading measures the ability of a player to convince another person to share their viewpoint.
- Bartering is a skill used to raise sale prices and lower purchase prices on goods and services.
- Appraising is a skill used to determine the rough value of an item or service by analyzing its component parts.
- Fibbing is a skill used to mask the truth with deception.
- Disguising is a skill used to modify the physical presentation of a player.
- Casting is a skill that determines spell power.
- Scrying is a skill that can divine visions both of the past and of the distant, peering into unknown locations and times to gain new information.
- Naming is a skill used to identify and use the true name of a material, object, creature, or person, granting them great power over its material and immaterial components.
- Arcana is a skill used to interact with and create magical objects.
- Summoning is a skill used to summon familiars, bound weaponry, regional animals, or spirits of the dead.
- Spellcrafting is a skill that allows users to create and write known spells in their spellbooks, eliminating the need to recreate the nouns and verbs every time.
Basic Class Skills
- Intimidate (Fighter) - Use PHYS to intimidate others as a specialized persuasion check.
- Survival (Wanderer) - Use PHYS to forage for wild roots and berries, find defensible locations to camp, and tame wild animals as companions.
- Maneuver (Pilot) - Use INT to make aerial maneuvers in land or spacecraft.
- Record (Historian) - Use INT to recall the history of a region, developing it into a history text that can be sold for credits and fame.
- Experiment (Scientist) - Use INT to discover new properties of anomalies or unknown substances, which can be sold for credits and fame.
- Proselytize (Missionary) - Use SPIR to convert locals to join your faith, where their donations and charity can gain the crew credits and fame.
- Snipe (Marksman) - Use SPIR to focus your aim, adding the result of the skill check to any shot made with a longarm. (Adds only to aim, not damage.)
- Create Work (Writer) - Use SOC to create a piece of writing that can be sold for credits and fame.
- Monetize (Merchant) - Use SOC to determine the most valuable regional resource and establish a supply system to exploit it for income.
- Inspire (Leader) - Use SOC to attract crowds, gaining willing followers to aid in your adventures.
- Soothe (Sociologist) - Use SOC to calm aggressive creatures or persons, placating them and making them more likely to assist the player and crew.
- Wild Magic (Magician) - Use MAG to spontaneously cast up to two different spells in the same action.
- Metamagic (Wizard) - Use MAG to enhance any spell to its maximum potential.
- Telearcana (Shipsage) - Use MAG to enter a meditative state, using the result to replace combat, piloting, and engineering checks made in space.
Advanced Class Skills I
- Jurisdiction (Officer)
- Charge (Dragoon)
- Warp Strike (Mage Blade)
- Auto-Mount (Gunner)
- Detonators (Bounty Hunter)
- Curved Shot (Spellshot)
- Ranger Paths (Ranger)
- Rogue Talent (Thief)
- Ancient Degree (Xenoarchaeologist)
- Create Tool (Engineer)
- Triage (Doctor)
- Synthesize Catalyst (Dark Physicist)
- Synthesize Gas (Xenobiologist)
- Synthesize Explosive (Astrochemist)
- Chant (Priest)
- Sacrifice (Cultist)
- Crusade (Templar)
- Camouflage (Hunter)
- Quick Draw (Gunslinger)
- Post Blog/Vlog (Tourist)
- Create Novel (Novelist)
- Publish Article (Journalist)
- Incite Riot (Militia Leader)
- Doomsday Preacher (Cult Leader)
- Sleazy Manipulation (Political Influencer)
- Forbidden Council (Arcane Ritualist)
- Universal Communicator (Linguist)
- Social Manipulation (Xenopsychologist)
- Change Shape (Polymorph)
- Raise Dead (Necromancer)
- Summon (Summoner)
- Enchant (Enchanter)
- Use Arcane (Arcanist)
- Arcane Wind (Solar Sailer)
- Gravity Assault (Arcanonaut)
- Mage Flare (Lightbringer)
Advanced Class Skills II
- Mechanopathology (Mechanopath)
- Cultivate Herbs (Botanist)
- Heavenly Bolt (Astral Warrior)
- Night Strike (Vampiric Reaver)
- Perform (Actor)
- Architect (Elite Colony Leader)
- Arbitrate (Speaker of the Scrolls)
- Astral Storm (Stormbringer)
- Landmaster (Terran Lord)
- Cook (Iron Chef)
- Stoichiomurgy (Alchemist)